Friday, March 16, 2012

Thrifty Magic

If you haven't discovered the magic of thrift-ing, I think you should start.

It requires digging into 40% uninteresting things all of which are 100% not clean to questionable levels, but there are some amazing things in the heaps of stuff that only look  like trash. (just think of your attic at home)

On my way home from work I stopped by the Lamma animal shelter which doubles as a thrift store and took a look. I was kinda tired, and not really in the mood to dig and was on my out, when a dark frame caught my eye. So I stopped and took a second look. Two detailed old style lithograph prints (I mean prints of the original print) in heavy wood and glass frames. Dusty to be sure, so I asked how much there were. Friends, a mere 20 HKD (a little under 3 USD) per frame in it's entirety, art included!

You be the judge, was it worth it?

Personally I think the glass is worth more than that alone. The best part of thrifting is that most of things you find are older, which might mean more repairs, or stains, probably a small chip, something you'll definately have to clean and air out.

Or it could mean things they no longer make that you've been searching for, something the previous owner couldn't appreciate like you can, maybe a more unique piece to hang on your wall than the mass production at Pier One. Or something out of your price range at anthro (p.s. they thrift to get some things in their store too).

Give thrifting a try! Books, art, belts, cameras, furniture at architectural salvage shops, dishes, that can stand the test of years, sometimes decades, can make your home beautiful and unique at a sweet price, while recycling on top of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment